If you read last week's post, you'll know that ya girl got a job! Woo, woo! I am now a teacher with VIPKID, which is an online teaching company that caters to Chinese students ages 5 to 12. I started the application process in the middle of April and it went pretty quickly. I applied on a Monday, scheduled the Skype interview/ mock lesson for that Thursday, and the following Tuesday (after another mock class with a VIPKID mentor pretending to be a 5 year old student) I was hired!
It's been a week and so far, I'm really impressed. Coming from teaching in Korea, where everything is told to you at the last possible second, it's really nice to work with a company that has so much structure and support readily available. Beyond that, I'm loving having complete control over my teaching schedule!
The biggest difficulty that new hires face is filling up their schedule. We're told it takes about a month and it's proving to be true. Slowly but surely I'm being scheduled for more classes and it's exciting to watch it happen. VIPKID allows the Chinese students (their parents really) to chose teachers by browsing the 10,000+ profiles. Once you get a student to teach, you want to convert them into a regular - meaning you want the student to choose you as their "main" teacher each week. I've found that the best way to get regulars is 1) have an awesome 25 minute class and 2) write the most wonderfully detailed feedback paragraph for the student's parents.
- Getting a student named Melody! I think they chose me as her teacher because we have the same name and I'm so glad they did. She is this absolutely precious 4 year old with the most infectious smile. For being only 4 years old, her English skills are so impressive. I'm convinced that she's a literal angel because of how much of a joy she is to teach and the best part is - she is now my first "regular". Yay!
- Finally downloading the VIPKID teacher app and being able to see and adjust my schedule as well as review lessons for future classes. I love technology.
- Because the kids I teach live in China, majority of my teaching hours are from 7:00AM to 9:00AM, which is perfect. It's been so nice to get up early and start my day. I feel so much more productive and getting my "work" out the way early in the morning is great too.
- Teaching again. I didn't realize how much I missed interacting with kids and being in teacher mode.
- I accidentally missed a class, which is the worst thing you can do as a VIPKID teacher. I didn't pay enough attention to my schedule the night before and ended up sleeping through a 7:00AM class. Not only did I receive a pay deduction of $10, but now parents can see that I was a no-show. Insert sad face.
- Trying to get through 25 plus slides in 25 minutes. This is proving to be a whole new level of time management skills!
- Out of the 14 classes I've taught so far, 3 of them have had technical difficulties. It's frustrating for both me and the student and it makes it even more difficult to get through all the material.
Overall, I'm really happy with my new gig! It feels really good to be back in the classroom and most of all, to have complete control of my schedule. Freedom is really important to me right now and this job gives me just that.
Would you ever think about becoming a VIPKID teacher? If so, here is my referral link! If you've got any questions, drop me a comment below.
Stay awesome. Stay Inspired.
- Melody -